- 01-Aug-2015 to 06-Jan-2018 (PST)
- Calabasas, CA, USA
- Full Time
Erewhon, Los Angeles' homegrown iconic natural food store, is expanding rapidly and is looking for creative food lovers who strive to produce inventive, inspired and compelling dishes with local and sustainably produced materials. Our suppliers are hyperlocal. Our staff is inventive, driven and passionate about creating the highest quality product to ensure that each and every one of our customers (and staff members!) can lead the healthiest and best possible life. We strive to support local organic growers and the environment, partner with organizations that share our values and build community wherever we root. We recycle, reuse and minimize waste and act in every way possible to protect the finite resources of our planet. Family owned and operated for more than 40 years in Los Angeles, we are the source of the healthiest and most nutrient-rich foods available.
What We Offer:
Flexible full and part time schedules
Competitive market wages
Traditional group health plan coverage
Dental and vision
Paid vacation accrual
Generous employee discount
Collaborative environment and open-door policy – you have a great idea? We want to hear it!
Tremendous opportunities for personal specialization and professional growth
What We're Looking For:
As the deli clerk, your basic function is to serve customers in the deli in a polite, personable and efficient manner. In addition to this, the deli clerk is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the department.
- Meet and greet customers at the deli counter.
- Determine the customer's needs and prepare their selection.
- Properly weigh and charge the customer for their purchase.
- Make suggestions to up-sell product to the customer which is appropriate for their selection.
- Help to set up the display cases with product.
- Keep display cases, counter, salad bar, soup bar and outside display cases clean and presentable throughout the day.
- Check proper temperature of food in the display cases to maintain Health Department Standards (As required).
- Maintain Food Handler's Certification (As required).
- Participate in product sampling.
- Fill in paper supplies for utensils.
- Break down the display cases at the end of the day, properly securing the product and returning it to its proper storage space.
- Rotate or remix stock to maintain fresh appearance of the display.
- Answer telephone.
- Help manager prepare for quarterly inventory.
- Participate in regular staff training seminars.
- Notify managers and cooks of low/out of stock items to trigger replenishment.
- Follow employees guidelines for attendance, dress code and rules and regulations as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Help train new employees.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- At least 1 year of experience in health/natural food service or restaurant experience preferred.
- Ability to learn basic working knowledge of all products available in department and compliance with Erewhon Standard.
- Excellent knife handling skills
- Strong work ethic, time management skills and sense of urgency.
- Ability to visually examine products quickly for quality and freshness. Must be able to properly date and rotate product for optimal freshness.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – both with other members of staff and customer base as a whole.
- Flexible availability – we need staff mornings, evenings, weekends AND most holidays.
Essential Job Functions:
- Stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Bend and stoop to grasp objects and climb ladders. Bend and twist neck and waist, reach above and below shoulders and squat.
- Bend and lift loads, not to exceed 50 pounds. Push and pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Repetitive use of hands for grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation.
- Environmental exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, ovens, freezer, outdoors, etc.)
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts!